Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DANGER - Soap Making

-->

Soap making.  The joys of soap making.  I enjoy making soap so much but it doesn’t go without it’s challenges.  When I first started my biggest fear was using lye.  We have all heard the horror stories.  So, I put on my goggles, mask, huge gloves and measure out the lye.  Ok, no explosion.  Second, I add it the water with my eyes focused and body tense.  Nothing.  I begin to stir….nothing.  I am feeling pretty good now since that was the scary part.  I feel as though I just conquered the dragon and now all that is left is the celebration.  I mix the lye mixture with oils and bring it to trace.  Now it is time to cook it out.  SPOILER ALERT.  Do not turn your back on the soap when it is cooking.  I stand and watch for a little bit and start to get bored.  I start to perform other tasks to get other products ready.  All of a sudden I see out of the corner of my eye, a soap volcano oozing out of the crockpot everywhere.  Of course, I had taken off my gloves and gear while performing my other tasks.  As I frantically try to get them back on to stop the lava overflow I of course drop them a couple of times.  I turn off the crockpot and grab a spoon.  My dragon battle was just starting.  I am stirring and flipping and trying to keep anything around from being ruined.  After all lye is dangerous or so we have all been warned.  Finally after a long, fierce battle the lava settles and now all that was left was the cleanup.  Out comes the vinegar!

No comments:

Post a Comment